Enrique Ubarri is a senior advisor with Zolfo Cooper, currently advising the UCC of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. He has over 18 years of experience mostly serving in the capacity of general counsel of various Puerto Rican companies. He has extensive experience managing all aspects of high-level negotiations, financial services, securities, risk management and insurance.
Enrique served as the executive vice president and general counsel at Doral Financial Corporation for the past 10 years. In his early years with Doral, Enrique was responsible for assisting with the turnaround and restructuring of the bank holding company, which included a restatement of its earnings, a complete change in management, a settlement of a $4 billion class action securities lawsuit, a negotiation with insurance companies, a correction of deficiencies related to material weaknesses, and raising over $1 billion in capital.
From October 2006 to June 2012 Enrique also served as chief compliance officer, responsible for the compliance division and regulatory affairs. During this time, Enrique was responsible for the release of a number of regulatory actions that had been brought on the company by regulators.
Prior to joining Doral, Enrique served as vice president and general counsel of Triple-S Management Corporation (NYSE: GTS), the holding company of the Blue Cross/Blue Shield licensee in Puerto Rico, which includes a managed care company.
From 2000-2005, Enrique was senior vice president, general counsel and chief compliance officer, Santander BanCorp, the Puerto Rico subsidiary of Banco Santander, S.A.
Education, Certification & Professional Affiliations
- Admitted to practice law in the State of Florida and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- LL.M., University of Miami School of Law (entertainment, sports and arts)
- M.B.A., Boston College - Wallace E. Carroll Graduate School of Management
- LL.M., Boston University School of Law (American banking)
- LL.M., Georgetown University Law Center (securities and financial regulation)
- J.D., Inter-American University of Puerto Rico School of Law
- B.A., Boston University